A Look Back in Photos

Thursday, November 14, was our Fall Celebration of Support event to recognize volunteers and supporters of the American Red Cross in Northeast Wisconsin.

Please enjoy our “Year in Pictures” video that we shared at the banquet showcasing our Red Cross workers  and the services we provided throughout the year.

Do you want to join our ranks? Please go to: www.redcross.org/newisconsin to sign-up to volunteer.


Be Ready to “Fall Back”

Tips Courtesy: Wisconsin Emergency Management


Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday as we “fall back” and set clocks back one hour.

This is also a great time to check the things that keep us safe and ready for emergencies. ReadyWisconsin urges you to check these items:

Smoke Detectors

Check and replace batteries if needed and make sure the devices around your house are working properly. The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission estimates that about 16 million homes in the country have smoke alarms that do not work, due, in most cases, to dead or missing batteries. Nearly 2,700 people die and more than 15,000 are injured each year because of fires that started in their homes.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. More than 20,000 people visit the emergency room and nearly 500 are killed each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

To protect your family from carbon monoxide, follow these simple safety tips:

  • Make sure you have working CO detectors. All homes and duplexes in Wisconsin are required to have CO detectors on every level including the basement, but not the attic or storage areas.
  • Have your furnace or wood-burning stove inspected annually to make sure it is structurally and functionally sound and vents properly to the outside of your home.
  • Never run a gasoline or propane heater or a grill (gas or charcoal) inside your home or an unventilated garage.
  • Any heating system that burns fuel will produce carbon monoxide. Use a battery-powered detector where you have fuel burning devices but no electric outlets, such as in tents, cabins, RVs, and boats with enclosed cabins.
  • Never run a car in an enclosed space. If a vehicle is running, you must have a door open to the outside.
  • Generators should be run a safe distance from the home.
  • Never run a generator in the home or garage, or right next to windows or doors.

Breathing carbon monoxide displaces the oxygen in the blood and can cause death within minutes at high levels. Symptoms of overexposure to carbon monoxide are often mistaken for the flu and include headaches, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath/chest pain, nausea/vomiting, and confusion. If you experience any of these symptoms, or your carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm, head outside immediately for fresh air and call 911.

Emergency Kits

Everyone should have a basic emergency kit in their home with supplies such as food

and water to last you and your family for at least three days. Other items like a battery powered or crank radio, flashlights, first aid kit should also be included. Daylight Savings Time is a perfect time to get a kit and if you already have a kit, check it to make sure food and other items are not near or past their expiration dates.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning,

Visit: http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/Air/fs/CO.htm

For additional tips on emergency preparedness:  www.redcross.org

Who Knew? Today is Fall Prevention Awareness Day

September 23 is Fall Prevention Awareness Day

The American Red Cross Lifeline Program is celebrating Fall Prevention Awareness Day by joining organizations in 34 states to increase public awareness about how to prevent and reduce falls among older adults.

Why you ask? Seniors are living longer and remaining in their own homes; however, falls have become an epidemic problem that jeopardizes seniors’ chances to live independently. Every year in theU.S., one out of three people age 65 and over will fall. This statistic translates to 13.3 million people who will fall in 2011, or one person falling every 2.3 seconds on average. The good news is that there are things seniors can do to lower the risk of falling.  The American Red Cross Lifeline program wants to raise awareness of the programs and services that can help reduce falls and fall-related injuries to help seniors in our community prevent, prepare and have early response to emergencies at home.

To register for the American Red Cross Lifeline Service, please call 1-800-959-6989.

To learn about online educational tools, visit http://www.lifelinesys.com/affiliate/redcrossma.