Fire destroys home on Knight’s Lane in Howard

Three Red Cross volunteers assisted the family with comfort kits, home-made quilts and after the fire packs. Chief Ed Janke is a member of the American Red Cross Lakeland Chapter board of directors.

By Charles Davis/Press-Gazette: Click HERE to view video.

 

HOWARD — A 21-year-old man escaped serious injury this morning in a fire that destroyed a Howard home.

Firefighters from six departments fight a stubborn fire in a house on Knights Lane in Howard Friday, March 11, 2011. / Jim Matthews/Press-Gazette

Jayson Blake was alone in the lower level of the home at 3149 Knight’s Lane when he woke up surrounded by smoke about 8 a.m. Blake escaped out the front door before crews arrived to flames and heavy smoke coming from the home. He was taken to a local hospital as a precaution but did not appear to be injured, Howard fire Chief Ed Janke said.

 The fire is believed to have started in the garage and crews took nearly two hours to put it out. Two cars parked in the driveway were not damaged.

 The ranch-style house is described as a total loss.

 The home is owned by Kevin and Marla Van Lanen and valued at $144,700, according to Brown County land records. Blake is Marla Van Lanen’s son.

 Kevin Van Lanen said he lives there with his wife and three sons. The family has fire insurance and will stay with relatives, he said.

 The Pulaski, Hobart, Green Bay, Suamico and Denmark fire departments assisted.