August has been a tremendously busy month for disaster responses! On the news, we’ve seen the devastation in Louisiana, California, Indiana, Ohio and now several parts of the country are bracing for hurricanes and tropical storms. In Wisconsin, we experienced a significant number of disaster responses. Though these disasters did not capture national media attention hundreds of people experienced the worst day of their lives. In a moment, lives were turned upside down, homes were destroyed, pets died and cherished belongings are gone forever. Some lost loved ones including a family that lost their 2-year-old son in a home fire. Through all this, the American Red Cross was there. Wisconsin volunteers and staff responded at all hours of the day and night providing assistance, guidance and hope. They were there to listen and to help people begin to recover and heal.
In August, the Wisconsin Region…
- Responded to 81 local disaster events including two Level II Disaster Relief Operations
- Opened 198 cases helping 463 people
- Opened and ran a shelter for 6 days and provided 106 overnight stays to people with no other place to spend the night
- Coordinated 2 Multi Agency Resource Centers providing a one stop recovery shop for clients to meet with numerous agencies and receive support
- Opened a Reception Center which provided people with casework, health services and crisis counseling
- Responded to 4 requests to provide hydration and food to first responders
And remember, all of this came on the heels of a Level III flooding response in July!
In addition to helping at home, 77 Wisconsinites accepted assignments in Louisiana, California and now Hawaii. They set aside their lives to travel to communities torn apart by disasters, worked long hours, slept in gyms and more. They worked in shelters, served hot meals, delivered supplies, counseled survivors and did behind the scenes work to raise money, provide logistics support, managed staff and provided operational leadership.
All of you have a role in making sure the Red Cross mission is delivered in Wisconsin and beyond. Whether you respond to disasters, recruit, train and mentor volunteers, raise funds, tell the story, ensure vehicles, supplies and buildings are available or work with partners, please know that you make a difference. So many have benefited and will continue to benefit from Red Cross services and you help make it happen! Thank you!
WI Disaster Officer
Filed under: Central WI Chapter, Disaster Services, Donating, Fundraising, North Central WI Chapter, Northeast WI Chapter, Northwest WI Chapter, Preparedness, Southeast WI Chapter, Southwest WI Chapter, Training, Uncategorized |